The CRM/NAV connector always likes to keep me on my toes and today it archieved the feet but suddenly stopping working.
One minute it’s working and the next minute none of the maps are running.
So what happened.
Looking at the logs (a NAV/CRM connector users best friend) I noticed there were some errors about a field I had deleted on the CRM entity but was still mentioned in one of the maps.
Oddly it wasn’t a map that was running and the field didn’t have a value being mapped.
I restarted the CRM/NAV Connector and then looked at the event viewer applications log. When you start and stop the connector it writes a value to the log.
Here I found an error
An unexpected error occurred while loading maps for site [Metaphorix \ Metaphorix]. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Now if you read my blog or have been searching for CRM/NAV connector errors then you will know I have seen this error before
This highlights the confusion you can have when using the connector the same error can mean something different has broken and the error messages are not easy to understand.
What I think this error was complaining about a field which was mapped which no longer existed.
To resolve this problem you have to run the configuration tool again to remap all the fields correctly.
I will add a word of warning, the connector configuration tool might forget if you had added entities to the mapping, so check to make sure they are ticked.
So there we go another error and another solution. hopefully if the Dynamic community can keep blogging solutions to the CRM/NAV connector problems then it will make using it easier.